Friday, August 24, 2012

Better than Bún Chả?

After I finished work tonight Sáng had arranged to pick me up, but it was pouring, so we cancelled and I just got a ride home with Son, the security guard from VAIE. I wasn't home long when the rain stopped, so Sáng and his mate, Tú, came and picked me up and took me into the city to this tiny little restaurant where we had the most delicious Nem Cua Bể - crab spring rolls! It's pretty much a variation on Bún Chả and I may well have a new favourite Vietnamese dish...
Fresh, scrumptious food and delightful company... what a great way to spend a Friday night.

After our meal, we headed back to the Paragon Cafe for coffee. It was raining on and off all night, so raincapes were the order of the day. It's amazing to me how we take heavy rain, raincapes, motorbikes and wet feet in our stride over here... "It's normal!"  Back home we'd balk at driving in such weather, but here if you have to go somewhere you either wait till the rain eases or ride on through it (without the protection of a car).

We walked in the door at Paragon and there at the first table were all these Western men...
Tom (US), Tony, Ian, Graham (who only arrived today) and John - all but Tom are from VAIE.
Apparently they were discussing my disastrous attempt at riding a motorbike when I walked in with Sáng and Tu. It was pretty funny.... a bit like stumbling across The Old Codgers' Club...

Sáng and 

The time passed very quickly chatting with my new friends. There's always plenty to talk about. Their English is good, but every so often they stop and compare notes in Vietnamese to clarify what I just said...
Another lovely evening with new experiences and great company... how blessed am I!!

No comments:

Post a Comment