Monday, May 7, 2012

No experience is ever wasted...

I've just come back from the busy market not far from here, where I bought some prawns (still alive and wriggling), some fruit, and the ingredients for a pot of chicken soup. You know how fresh the chickens are because they are constantly being butchered as fast as they are sold. So I picked a nice looking, freshly plucked chook (still warm). It's amazing how differently people relate to you when you're walking through the market empty handed, to when you're carrying a bag with chicken's feet sticking out of it! One lady was absolutely convinced I needed her congealed blood and intestines to go with my chicken!!

The nicest thing today was that when I checked the prices, I was being offered the same price by several sellers, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't being ripped off.

As soon as I got home I cooked the prawns (for a prawn cocktail for lunch ... with fresh, crusty bread), and pulled out the chicken. That's when I realised it was quite whole... all that was gone was the feathers!!!.... Well that took me back to Lake Russell Drive, like I said - no experience is ever wasted!  I was in the middle of dealing with that when I realised what a perfect photo opportunity I'd missed. Bother! Ah well there's always next time...

So my chicken soup is simmering and smelling delicious. I'll invite the boys over for dinner tonight ....






No comments:

Post a Comment