Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Woo-oo ... Earthquake!!

This morning I got to feel an earthquake!! I was sitting down, during the break at my shipping company class and I felt the chair and the floor move for a couple of seconds. I asked the students I was talking to if they'd felt it, but they hadn't... (It was pretty mild, I must admit...).   I didn't give it any more thought until Hannah asked me if I'd felt the earthquake!  Apparently she saw her whole house shaking. We asked around the girls at Texas BarBQ over lunch, but most of them hadn't noticed anything... but here's the proof... an on-line article reporting on it.

Magnitude-4.4 quake shakes northern localities
Updated : Wed, October 3, 2012,12:12 PM (GMT+0700)

A magnitude-4.4 earthquake hit the northern city of Hai Phong at 10:18 local time on Wednesday morning, sending seismic waves to neighboring provinces and cities.
The quake occurred at latitude 20°, 81′ North, longitude 106°, 66′ East in Kien An District at a depth of 15 kilometers, the Vietnam Institute of Geophysics said.
The institute added that the tremor could trigger vibrations at 5 degrees on the MSK 64 scale – a 12-degree seismic intensity measurement.
It said this was a weak earthquake that would not cause serious damage.
Many people in Hanoi, 120 km from Hai Phong, reported shaking that lasted for a few seconds, while others fled their houses and offices after feeling stronger quivers.
The tremor also sent shudders to the city’s other neighbors like Thai Nguyen, Bac Giang, and Thai Binh, local residents said.
Local scientists are still keeping an eye on the quake area at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment